Thursday, July 22, 2010

Two Steps Forward, Three Steps Back. . . Parenting 's Ups and Downs

This week began on a high note.  The kids decided, after watching Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, that they were going to make over the front porch, sitting room, and a bedroom in our house.  They worked together and did a phenomenal job.  In fact, I can actually walk onto our front porch without tripping over basketballs, scooters, skateboards, and in-line skates.  It was great seeing them work together.

The following morning Dash woke up and made pancakes for himself and Violet (Jack-Jack had already eaten a bowl of cereal).  I thought, "finally, we're turning a corner."  However, it was just a slight bend in the road.

Yesterday was back to our chaotic "normal."  It was the classic two-against-one day.  The older two tormented Jack-Jack most of the afternoon.  They decided they were "spies" who were on a mission to avoid Jack-Jack.  Whenever Jack-Jack came near them, they ran from him.  Whenever Jack-Jack tried to talk to them, they ignored him.  The Jack-Jack felt rejected and ended up crying through almost an entire episode of SpongeBob (yes, I was trying to bribe him to stop crying by allowing him to watch cartoons).

Things went from bad to worse as an argument escalated over a busted slip-and-slide that had just been purchased two days ago.  There were more tears and a lot of finger-pointing over who ripped a hole in the water slide.

Just when I was about to tell them to put on their swimsuits so that we could go jump in the pool, the skies opened up and unleashed a torrent of rain, thunder and lightening.  I guess Mother Nature was crying along with me!

When I felt at my absolute low today, I kept reminding myself of the positive moments this week. I also keep reminding my children of how great they felt working together.  Maybe it will start to sink in soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment